Thursday, March 22, 2012

Australian Aboriginal Dot Paintings


At the beginning of fourth quarter, sixth grade students learned that Australian Aborigines, the oldest known continuous culture in the world, are famous for their dot paintings.  Many dot paintings feature a "totem," an animal that serves as the artist's good luck symbol.  Sixth graders chose an animal for their "totem" and used oil pastels to create an Aboriginal dot painting.  Then they wrote an artist's statement to explain why they chose the animal for their "totem."

"I drew a dolphin because they make me feel safe.  They are always happy and very playful around people.  They make me feel safe because they are very protective of their children.  My mom and I love going to the dock and watching the dolphins play and jump.  That is why I chose a dolphin for my animal for dot painting." ~ Reaganne

"This very powerful werewolf suits me because almost everything I do it does, too." ~ Tally

"I painted this butterfly because my birthday is in April when Spring is here.  The butterflies bring me luck during the CRCT, too.  I used these colors in the painting because it is like a rainbow." ~ Amberleigh 

"The reason I chose the wolf as my totem was because the wolf is sleek and evasive, sort of like me.  The wolf is cunning and quick, also like me.  It also represents my culture which is Native American." ~ Noah

"I drew this guinea pig because I used to have six guinea pigs and I like them.  But my mom said their poo-poo was getting all over the floor and just complaining.  One of my guinea pigs had 18 babies.  That's when she told me that she was going to get rid of them.  So, this is why I drew this guinea pig." ~ Shasanay

"I drew a horse because I think it symbolizes freedom to believe in yourself.  The horse is my totem because they have a strong mind and a soft heart and I feel this relates to me.  I love how they run free and enjoy life.  I have enjoyed horses ever since I first rode one and I thought that it would make a great totem.  That is why I chose to draw a horse as my totem and good luck charm." ~ Kerstin

I chose the dolphin as my favorite animal because it's the most social, spiritful, joyful and adorable animal that I can think of." ~ Briana

"I chose to draw a turtle because it's my favorite animal out of three.  Plus it was the easiest to draw and it shows who I am because it also has my favorite colors in the picture (which are green, blue, purple)." ~ Shania

"I have created my dot painting as a bird because it has a resemblance in my life.  As a child, I would love to act like a bird.  Also as of today, like birds, I like to soar the world, or at least I can "soar" in my neighborhood." ~ Kenya

"I chose to draw a butterfly because of the colors.  Every time I see a butterfly they make me smile.  Also, it is my favorite animal.  Each one is inspirational.  True Beauty." ~ Ashlynn

"I did the butterfly because butterflies are free spirited..." ~ Ayla

"The reason I drew a butterfly was because a butterfly feels free when he or she is flying so I wanted to feel free drawing it... I made a lot of colors... and I hope you like it." ~ Krista

No comments:

Post a Comment